Deadline to apply: Wednesday, October 28
The Fostering Youth Success Alliance (FYSA) is a statewide advocacy group that promotes responsive policies and programs that offer young people with a foster care background every opportunity to set higher expectations and achieve their goals. We are dedicated to data-driven systems reform, raising public awareness and securing stabilizing supports that empower youth across New York to overcome barriers and excel in life.
FYSA is governed by a steering committee composed of advocates and service providers from New York State. The committee oversees the strategic implementation of FYSA initiatives and helps to develop FYSA’s overall advocacy agenda. The committee also supports advocacy on various city, state, and federal legislation that aligns with FYSA’s policy goals. We seek to cultivate relationships with government officials at all levels to ensure we are successful in our advocacy work. FYSA is unique in that we encourage young people with system involvement to take part as leaders in our advocacy efforts.
Student Advocates will play a key role in steering committee discussions and decisions and participate in FYSA’s statewide advocacy work. They will have the opportunity and responsibility of raising awareness of issues that youth in care face in the foster care system, as well as educating the community on the initiatives that can support them. This is a great opportunity for students who have a passion for advocacy work, state politics, and educational outreach on essential programs and policies. We ask for a firm 8 month commitment from all Student Advocates. A quarterly stipend will be provided.
Role and Responsibilities
- Serve as a FYSA Steering Committee member
- Participate in monthly meetings November – June.
- Supporting the development our Foster Youth College Success Initiative (FYCSI) Guidebook and website
- Participate in FYSA’s social media advocacy strategy
- Serve as a “youth voice” during FYSA engagements
- Youth forums
- Making College Success Webinar’s
- Participate in weekly Youth Advocate team check-ins via Zoom mandatory camera on
- Participate in weekly one-one-one check-ins via Zoom with mandatory camera on
- Participate in quarterly performance reviews
- Must be currently or formerly in foster care
- Must be able to commit for 8 months (November 9th, 2020 –June 30th, 2021)
- 5-10 hour commitment per week
- Must be currently in college
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must pass background check
If you have any questions please email email@example.com.